Visit my main blog at Monkey Wrench Revival.

Friday, December 18, 2009

October Birding in Eastern Nebraska

>
Le Conte's Sparrow
Image Credit: Illinois Birds

I spent a few days in the middle of October visiting Nebraska for some meetings at the LaVista Convention Center. Most of my time was taken up by business; however, I did take advantage of my free time to do a little birding in the area.

I birded mainly in two areas, Chalco Hills Rec Area at Wehrspann Lake and the grassy fields adjacent to the Cabelas and the Convention Center.


Sedge Wren
Image Credit: Royse Photos

In all, I observed 48 species. The highlights for me were the sparrows. Here are my observations:

Canada Goose 200
Mallard 20
Pied-billed Grebe 9
American White Pelican 2
Great Blue Heron 1
Red-tailed Hawk 3
Cooper’s Hawk 1
Sora 1
American Coot 300
Killdeer 3
Herring Gull 1
Mourning Dove 6
Chimney Swift 1
Downy Woodpecker 3
Eastern Phoebe 1
Blue Jay 2
Barn Swallow 18
Black-capped Chickadee 20
Sedge Wren 2
Marsh Wren 3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 6
Eastern Bluebird 6
American Robin 300
European Starling 100


Clay-colored Sparrow
Image Credit: Scott Franke

Cedar Waxwing 20
Orange-crowned Warbler 6
Yellow-rumped Warbler 18
Clay-colored Sparrow 6
Field Sparrow 60
Vesper Sparrow 40
Savannah Sparrow 25
Henslow's Sparrow 1
Le Conte's Sparrow 1
Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow 14
Fox Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 12
Lincoln's Sparrow 14
Swamp Sparrow 4
White-throated Sparrow 14
White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco 3
Northern Cardinal 3
Red-winged Blackbird 2
Western Meadowlark 25
Brewer's Blackbird 200
House Finch 3
American Goldfinch 20
House Sparrow 2



Nelson’s Sharp-tailed Sparrow
Image Credit: Bird Photography


I hit all my targets, except for Harris' Sparrow; although I did give it the ol' college try. Nevertheless, I was quite content with what I was able to see during my brief visit.

No comments: