Visit my main blog at Monkey Wrench Revival.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Precarious State of China's Birds


Chinese Crested Tern
Image Credit: Liao Pen-Hsing, Taipei Times

Below is a link and an exerpt on the state of birds in China. The article points out the need for habitat conservation and cultural changes that need to be implemented in China to save its birds.


The Loneliness of the Chinese Birdwatcher

China is not a good place to be a bird. I learnt this when I moved from Hong Kong, still a British colony, to Beijing. Though my home in Hong Kong was in the heart of the city, dense scrub tumbled down the slopes from the Peak. I was driven out of bed every morning by a raucous dawn chorus. The violet whistling thrush was among the first to start up, and the hwamei (“beautiful eyebrow”), with white eyestripe and rich territorial song. The koel, a tropical cuckoo that lurks in thick cover, has a rising bisyllabic wolf-whistle. The grey treepie, a corvid, was a late riser, but hoodlum gangs soon made up for it. Layered over the top of all this came the screeches of sulphur-crested cockatoos. These aerial zoomers were a feral flock. The oldest had short lengths of chain on their legs and were released in 1941 from the aviary at Flagstaff House as the Japanese army closed in.

In my hutong neighbourhood in Beijing, by contrast, the mornings were strangely silent. In 1958 Mao Zedong had declared war on songbirds, sparrows in particular: he claimed they consumed scarce grain. For three days and nights my neighbourhood, gripped like much of northern China by hysteria, had beaten pots and pans to keep birds on the move until they collapsed in exhaustion on the roofs and pavements of the courtyard houses. The consequence was a plague of locusts the next year that helped bring on a famine. “Suan le,” Mao had said when told that the anti-sparrow campaign was not working. “Forget it then.”


Read the full artile in the Economist

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a picture of a Chinese bird I drew a long time ago. I drew it to make a wallpaper background for a Chinese Empress I drew. I used another Chinese art picture as reference and I have no idea what kind of bird it is. I would love to know if you can help me. Maybe you can make a good guess since you seem to know a lot about birds. My email is princezna1979@gmail.com . If you write me a quick note we can exchange emails and I can send you the tile. Thank-you. -Tanya

maxdake said...

buy reseach chemicals online
buy 4-CEC(Chloromethcathinone) online no hassle
Buy 4-Aco-DMT online from the best research chemical online store
best place to buy 5-Meo-DMT Online today
4-MPD for sale online
Bark of Tabernanthe iboga for Sale
Buy High Quality Ayahuasca DMT online
Buy 4-cl-pvp crystals online from our exclusive online chemical shop
Best place to Buy Fentanyl Online